So far, three collections of Fong So’s sketches have been published into three albums: (1) Umbrella Sketches: A first hand impression of HK Umbrella Movement 2014; (2) 44 Sketches of London and New York; (3) A Defiant City: 239 sketches of Hong Kong’s mass protest movement 2019-20.
方蘇結集出版的速寫畫冊至今已有三本：(1) 《雨傘速寫》記錄香港2014年的雨傘運動; (2)《倫敦及紐約速寫44圖》(2015年繪, 2018年出版); (3) 《抗命之城》記錄香港2019-20年的抗爭運動。
(1) Umbrella Sketches 雨傘速寫
A total of 146 sketches was made by Fong So during the 2014 Umbrella Movement in Hong Kong. They are raw images of what the artist saw before and on the day of tear gas (Sept 28), and later on, in the three occupied zones in Admiralty, Causeway Bay and Mongkok over a period of two months. While the movement was still running, 139 sketches were compiled in an album published in December 2014.
Original artwork: The sketches by Fong So documenting the Hong Kong 2014 Umbrella Movement are in the collection of the British Museum. Please visit the website of the Museum (www.britishmuseum.org) for more information.
Exhibition: Some Umbrella sketches were shown in a thematic exhibition of the British Museum, “I Object: Ian Hislop’s search for dissent”, in 2018.
展覽：大英博物館於2018年舉辦專題展覽，名為 “I Object: Ian Hislop’s search for dissent”，曾選展雨傘速寫數張。
(2) 44 Sketches of London and New York 倫敦及紐約速寫44圖
In the summer of 2015, three parallel exhibitions of photos by Hark Yeung and artworks by Fong So were held in London and New York. As a result of staying for two months in the two cities for two months, Fong So have a some 30 sketches of London and about a dozen of New York’s Central Park.
(3) A Defiant City 抗命之城
This is a collection of 239 sketches recording Hong Kong’s 2019-20 anti-extradition movement, a protest movement resisting a law amendment aiming at extraditing people from Hong Kong to mainland China. The whole collection of sketches is made on A3 size water colour paper. The sketch project begun in June 2019 after the one-million-plus and two-million-plus protest marches and ended in mid-January 2020 when the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak was a looming threat to Hong Kong. (See HOME and A Defiant City in Portfolio)
Cover image (A Defiant City)
Sketch: Tear gas outside the government headquarters (12 June 2019)
Project gallery (Please click the image to view it in full)
A Defiant City (first row)
1. The first protest march against extradition to mainland China (31 March 2019) 第一個反送中遊行
2. The one-million-plus protest march (9 June 2019) 69遊行，百萬人上街抗爭
3. A lunar new year e-card for the Year of the Rat (January 2020) 鼠年寄語
Umbrella Sketches (second row)
1. Young folk staying outside the government headquarters overnight (27-28 September 2014) 留守政總
2. Umbrella became the symbol of the Occupy movement (30 September 2014) 雨傘：佔領運動的標誌
3. The occupied zone in Admiralty before the final clearing (11 December 2014)
Sketches of London and New York (third row)
1. A study tour, Trafalgar Square, London
2. Strawberry Fields, Central Park, New York